Door County Cherry Biscotti Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1. Separate one egg; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs and reserved egg yolk. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in cherries and almonds. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a 12-in. x 3-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Beat reserved egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 28-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Transfer to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut each rectangle diagonally into 18 slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm and crisp, turning once. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over both sides of cookies. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- 5. Melt white chocolate and remaining shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- 6. Drizzle over both sides of cookies. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 323 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Door County Cherry Biscotti
"This is my go-to recipe for bake sales, or just if my family wants biscotti. It's gone in a flash and the recipe turns out well every time. Delicious with coffee!"
"As of July 9th correction has been made...there is NO cinnamon in this recipe"