Dirty Rice Recipe
This is an old Louisiana recipe that I've had longer than I can remember. It's a very popular Southern dish. To turn this into a main meal, simply add more sausage and chicken livers. —Mrs. Lum Day, Bastrop, Louisiana
- 1/2 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage for 2-3 minutes; stir in chicken livers. Cook 5-7 minutes more or until sausage and chicken livers are no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green onions and parsley in butter until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Stir in rice, sausage and chicken livers. Heat through, stirring constantly. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 148 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC