- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook sausage for 2-3 minutes; stir in chicken livers. Cook 5-7 minutes more or until sausage and chicken livers are no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green onions and parsley in butter until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Stir in rice, sausage and chicken livers. Heat through, stirring constantly. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Dirty Rice
"Excellent! This totally beats any dirty rice mix from a box I've ever had! I used cooked and sliced Italian sausage links instead of the bulk pork sausage and chicken livers because they were what I had on-hand. I also used green pepper instead of celery. Regardless of these substitutions, the dish was incredible, and with the use of pre-cooked rice (I made in bulk this weekend), the recipe was a snap to pull together."
"I made this for the "rice" recipe challenge on TOH's Cook's Corner. As suggested, I made it into a main dish by adding more bulk sausage and chicken livers. This is a fantastic recipe. Will make it again, for sure."
"Oh and unlike some people I can read and KNOW that its not Dirty Rice unless it has chicken LIVER not gizzards! Gizzards are no where in this recipe!"
"Thank you for finally having a true Cajun Rice recipe. For some people they think if they put hot sauce in it its automatically Cajun."
"This was very good my family was coming back for seconds. I did modify it however I put 1 lb. of hot Jimmy Dean in and left out the chicken gizzards and I put in a cup of shredded cabbage when I was cooking the garlic."
"I used all turkey sausage instead of pork and chicken livers."