- 1 package (15-1/2 ounces) Oreo cookies
- 2 clean new plastic flower pots, about 6 inches in diameter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Silk flowers, aluminum foil, gummy worms and clean new gardening tools, optional
- Crush cookies until they resemble potting soil. Divide half of the crumbs between the flower pots. Set pots and remaining crumbs aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. In another bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. Gently fold into cream cheese mixture until blended.
- Add filling to pots; top with reserved crumbs. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. If desired, wrap silk flower stems in foil; add to flower pots. Decorate with gummy worms and display with gardening tools if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Dirt Cake
"Exactly how I remembered it. You can have ANYTHING in moderation,especially when you try to add more natural ingredients. This is a dessert recipe!!! Its delicious!!!"
"Although this recipe is delicious - it's technically not a "Dirt cake" recipe. It's more a "sandbox" with the vanilla pudding. So if you're looking for a dark pudding underneath the oreo -- try a different recipe.However, this was still delicious ..I shared my experience at my blog here:http://www.stayin-afloat.com/p/dirt-cake.html"
"I love this cake from my childhood, but I don't like all the chemicals and weird stuff that is in most of these ingredients. I used organic Newman's own oreo-like cookies, organic cream cheese, local organic milk from pastured cows, and made my own whipping cream (I stabelized it with gelatin so it would last for the day). I was able to find organic instant pudding that didn't have chemicals in it, and I used organic unbleached powdered sugar (half the reccomended amount, so I ended up only using 1/4 cup. It was fine). If you use this sugar make sure to sift it before you use it, it's much clumpier than the bleached kind. I left out the butter. I halfed the recipe because no one really needs to eat more than a few spoonfuls of this stuff and we only had 10 people at the party, half of them were kids. I used organic, sugar free gummy worms made with fruit juice. And nasturtiums and pansies instead of fake flowers. Everyone loved it and there were no weird chemicals! A treat is ok once in awhile :) Not all Americans are obese."
"I love this site."
"god that sounds utterly foul - no wonder Americans are all obese if you eat that sort of cack."
"We made this for my sons birthday activity.THE KIDS LOVED IT!!"
"My youngest son of 5, age 26, still loves Dirt Cake! He called me yesterday from the grocery store & asked what he needed to make Dirt Cake, then brought me the ingredients to make it for him. Love to please my sons with their favorite things :)"
"This cake is sooo easy and fun to make I used chocolate pudding instead of vanilla and my7 year old daughter made the whole thing and she was soo proud of herself and the cake tastes soooo good thank you for sharing this yummy recipe :)"
"I used 1 lemon sugar free pudding and 1 vanilla sugar free, which added a wonderful touch. I wouldn't think of chocolate and Lemon together, but it was a real hit."