- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 3/4 cup vanilla or white chips
- Colored sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, pecans and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 3/4 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Melt vanilla chips and remaining shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip half of the cookies halfway in semisweet mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to harden. Dip remaining cookies halfway in vanilla mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper and sprinkle coated area with colored sprinkles. Let harden. Yield: 12-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Dipped Pecan Spritz
"These are my husband's favorite Christmas cookie! But I discovered that the pecans have to be ground very fine to squeeze well out of the cookie press. I have since scrapped that and now roll the dough into small balls, flatten them slightly then bake as usual. I dip half of the baked cookie in the melted chocolate drizzle and then let set. Yummy! And so much less frustrating."
"I have made these cookies a few times. Make them every Christmas, the bad thing on these cookies, you can't stop at two or three, you want to eat more and more. I have made them plain without the chocolate and the rest with chocolate, you must try these."