Suggests Toni Petroskey, Lorain, Ohio, "These cookies are great for Valentine's Day. Coconut adds flavor and texture to the shortbread."
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Remove from the heat; dip cookies halfway into chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Dipped Coconut Shortbread in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p67
Reviews for Dipped Coconut Shortbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2015
"I've made these cookies several years now for Valentines Day and everyone loves them! I always use a heart- shaped cookie cutter and they turn out really cute - thanx so much for this fantastic recipe... It's a keeper!"