Diploma Appetizers Recipe
After studying this delightful recipe Joanne Shew Chuck sent from St. Benedict, Saskatchewan, our kitchen staff unrolled a crafty way to display her appetizers—by tying the tidbits with green onion tops to resemble diplomas. Her response? "What a neat idea!" Adds Joanne, "We use these appetizers for all sorts of occasions. In fact, I regularly freeze them so I'm always prepared...even if unexpected guest drop in."—Pasty Dean, Sealy, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 16 to 20 green onions
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 32 slices white or wheat bread, crusts removed
- Melted butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. Cut green tops off onions; set aside. Chop enough of the remaining onions to measure 1/2 cup.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter until onions are tender. Add cream cheese and seasonings; stir over low heat until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. Flatten bread with a rolling pin. Spread 1 tablespoon of mushroom mixture on each slice and roll up. Place in a single layer on greased baking sheets. Freeze for 30 minutes. Frozen unbaked roll-ups may be stored in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- 4. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut reserved onion tops in half lengthwise. Place in boiling water for 1 minute; drain and cool. Tie a strip around each roll-up. Yield: 32 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC