Dinner in a Pumpkin Recipe
- 4 medium pie pumpkins (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Wash each pumpkin; cut a 4-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside. Place pumpkins in a shallow sturdy baking pan; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Fold in rice; spoon into pumpkins and replace tops. Brush outsides of pumpkins with oil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or just until pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Place on individual serving plates. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 559 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,714 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.