Dinner in a Bag
When it comes to convenience, Darlene Markel has dinner in the bag. The Sublimity, Oregon cook measures dry noodles and a mixture of spices into separate plastic bags, then stores them in a paper bag with canned stewed tomatoes. This "pantry kit" gives her family a head start on a hearty meal. "Since I work late occasionally," she says, "they just have to brown ground beef, and soon dinner is simm
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the tomatoes, seasonings and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer
- until macaroni is tender and sauce is thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 289 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.