- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, seasonings and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer until macaroni is tender and sauce is thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Dinner in a Bag
"Very tasty, economical easy to make main dish! My family really enjoy it."
"Love, love, love this recipe. Has been a go to recipe for me for years. Whole family loves it. I added chopped onion and green pepper to ground beef when browning. Then a can of drained mushrooms at the end of cooking time. So good.."
"Another recipe my whole family loves and that I have been making for years!"
"This is a great recipe. We doubled the recipe and instead of using stewed tomatoes, we used 3 quarts of tomatoes we canned from our garden and a full box of macaroni. Put some fresh, chopped garden onions on top. This is a keeper"
"A family favorite and so easy to make!"
"My kids didn't care for this."
"We love this! Have made it now for years and think of it as my own hamburger helper mix. I only do half of the hamburger to stretch my dollar and my own canned tomatoes. I'm like most cooks here I only add part of the salt and add some garlic powder to it."
"Wow this was AWESOME!! Will make this again for sure!! I used home canned tomatoes rather then store bought which cuts down on the sodium a lot! I also added a little oregano and garlic salt!! INCREDIBLE!! :)"
"the dish was very good- i did have add 3 cups of liquid to bew able to cook the macaroni- my canned stew tomatoes may had not enough liquids to cook the macaroni- i did add alittle more dried onions and i added some oregano to it. it was a hearty meal- i am still eating it -lots of left overs. i truely like that you can put dry ingreadents a a bag to be readsy and throw it all together. sue"