Dinette Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh fruit or ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until blended.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with fruit or ice cream if desired. Yield: 8-9 servings.
Editor's Note: Pieces of cake can be wrapped individually and frozen. Then thaw for a quick dessert.
1 piece: 253 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Dinette Cake
"Did anyone rating this recipe as excellent actually make it? I remembered a dinette cake recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook as well. While this cake wasn't "bad", it wasn't great either. It seems a little too sweet to me, and the texture isn't light like a quality brand cake mix. That being said, it doesn't have the additives that a commercial cake mix has. It makes an acceptable base for strawberries and whipped cream, which is what we used it for, but we prefer a cake mix cake to this (even with the additives)."
"I have always used this recipe for our Xmas morning breakfast tradition, Pineapple Upside Down cake. My great grandmother started this tradition and we carry it on today. (Simply layer 1/4 c. melted butter, pineapple slices, cherries, and walnuts in the bottom of the pan before pouring in the batter.) I also have a vegetarian (vegan) adaptation that is more health conscious. I substitute soy milk for the dairy milk and 1/4 c. of unsweetened applesauce for the egg. I also reduce the amount of sugar to 3/4 c. and use organic demera sugar."
"Sounds really good. I like a good moist cake so I am hoping this will also be moist. I especially like the fact that it is small since we are down to 2 not."