Dilly Turkey Melt
This is a hearty grilled sandwich with a distinctive and delicious combination of ingredients. The pickle slices add a bit of fun, and the barbecue sauce provides a hint of sweetness that's irresistible.
-Henry Mujica, North Riverside, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 8 slices cooked turkey
- Dill pickle slices
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until
- tender; remove and set aside. Spread barbecue sauce on four slices
- of bread. Layer each with one slice of cheese, bacon, turkey,
- pickles, onions and another slice of cheese. Cover with remaining
- slices of bread.
- In the same skillet over medium-low heat, melt remaining butter. Cook
- sandwiches on both sides until golden brown and cheese is melted
- (skillet may be covered the last few minutes to help melt cheese if
- necessary). Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 606 calories, 30 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 2,067 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 37 g protein.