Dilly Sweet Onions
As soon as Vidalia or other sweet onions are available each year, I make this salad. Everyone loves it, and I've received many requests for the recipe.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 pound sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the onions in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the
- sugar, vinegar, oil, dill and salt; bring to a boil, stirring
- constantly. Pour over onions and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- for at least 5 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 266 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 595 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.