Dilly Pickled Asparagus Recipe
- 6 pounds fresh asparagus
- 3 large garlic cloves, halved
- 6 teaspoons dill seed
- 6 teaspoons mustard seed
- 36 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 1. Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 4-1/2-in. spears. Discard ends or save for another use. Place asparagus in a large container; cover with ice water. In each of six 1-pint jars, place half of a garlic clove, 1 teaspoon dill seed, 1 teaspoon mustard seed and six peppercorns.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Drain asparagus; pack in jars to within 1/2 in. of top.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
1/4 cup: 19 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Dilly Pickled Asparagus
"I just made these yesterday and can't wait to try them. How long do you recomend I let the sit before trying? I'm new to canning. I know pickles are about 6 weeks not sure about these. Thank you."
"Yum!!! They are pretty mild so if you like them with a little more kick, add more dill and possibly a little cayenne pepper. Absolutely great! Cooking time was perfect. Just the right crispness. :)"
"My family agrees. These are really good. Sometimes I add dried hot pepper but not to all the jars. I didn't get any made this year.Pat"
"I made this reipe with adding red pepper flakes to each quart jar I made (50lbs) and all recipients of my labor were so thrilled and most asked for the recipe."