- 6 pounds fresh asparagus
- 3 large garlic cloves, halved
- 6 teaspoons dill seed
- 6 teaspoons mustard seed
- 36 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 4-1/2-in. spears. Discard ends or save for another use. Place asparagus in a large container; cover with ice water. In each of six 1-pint jars, place half of a garlic clove, 1 teaspoon dill seed, 1 teaspoon mustard seed and six peppercorns.
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Drain asparagus; pack in jars to within 1/2 in. of top.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
Reviews for Dilly Pickled Asparagus
Sort By :
"Yum!!! They are pretty mild so if you like them with a little more kick, add more dill and possibly a little cayenne pepper. Absolutely great! Cooking time was perfect. Just the right crispness. :)"
"My family agrees. These are really good. Sometimes I add dried hot pepper but not to all the jars. I didn't get any made this year.Pat"
"I made this reipe with adding red pepper flakes to each quart jar I made (50lbs) and all recipients of my labor were so thrilled and most asked for the recipe."