VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 3 cups of flour, Parmesan cheese, sugar, dill, butter and salt; beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining flour (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir batter down and beat 25 strokes with a spoon. Place in a greased 9-in. springform pan (do not allow to rise). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 servings).
Originally published as Dilly Parmesan Bread in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p41