Dilly Onion Braid Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, dill seed, dill weed and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg, 1/2 cup flour and onion; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 132 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Dilly Onion Braid
"Pretty easy to make which is great. I found it tastes the best warm and with salted butter. Plus it looks impressive!"
"Easy and delicious. Only added the dill weed and not the dill seed."
"Easy and delicious."