Dilly Onion Braid Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, dill seed, dill weed and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg, 1/2 cup flour and onion; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 132 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Dilly Onion Braid
"Pretty easy to make which is great. I found it tastes the best warm and with salted butter. Plus it looks impressive!"
"easy and delicious. Only added the dill weed and not the dill seed."
"easy and delicious."