Dilly Cheddar Cubes
"This is a delicious crowd-pleasing appetizer," says Lisa Lovitz of Lockport, New York. "I make it for all my parties by request of my guests. The cheese cubes are so easy to prepare ahead of time, then just remove them from the freezer and pop them in the oven for a few minutes," she explains.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 egg whites
- 24 cubes French bread (1-inch cubes)
- Line a baking pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a small saucepan,
- combine the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-low
- heat until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold
- into cheese mixture. Using a fork, dip bread cubes into cheese
- mixture and place on prepared pan. Freeze, uncovered, until firm.
- Transfer to a freezer bag; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen appetizers: Arrange bread cubes 1 in. apart on greased
- baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
To use frozen appetizers: Arrange bread cubes 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 189 calories,