Dilly Casserole Bread
I got this recipe from a church cookbook years ago and I've used it ever since. I've added a few touches of my own to it. This bread is the favorite of our grandchildren, and we always take some when we go to visit them.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in water; set aside. In bowl combine cottage cheese,
- sugar, onion, butter, dill seed, salt, soda and egg. Mix until
- blended. Stir in yeast. Gradually add flour to form stiff dough.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for about 1 hour.
- Stir down dough. Turn into well-greased 8-in. round baking dish,
- about 1- to 1-1/2-qt. size. Let rise for 30-40 minutes. Bake at
- 350° for 35-45 minutes. Brush with additional butter. Cut in
- wedges. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 2 breads, 1/2 fat; also, 181 calories, 319 mg sodium, 34 mg cholesterol,