Dilly Bean Potato Salad Recipe
Green beans and dill pickles perk up this pretty potato salad, and the Italian-style dressing adds a refreshing tang. My Irish grandmother made it for family gatherings, even though I've changed a bit, Nanny always comes to mind when I dish it up. -Marguerite Novicke, Vineland, New Jersey
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 4 pounds red potatoes
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium Vidalia or sweet onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 dill pickles, sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Celery salt and seasoned salt to taste
- 1. Place 1 in. of water and beans in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- 3. Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices; transfer to a large bowl. Add the onions, celery, pickles, dill, parsley and garlic.
- 4. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinaigrette ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over potato mixture. Add beans; gently toss. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 200 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC