Dilled Potato-Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Herb potato chips and finely shredded leeks, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute leeks and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, carrot, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Whisk a small amount of soup into buttermilk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add dill; heat through (do not boil). Garnish if desired. Yield: 3-3/4 cups.
1-1/4 cups (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-sodium broth) equals 133 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.