Dilled Leek Soup Recipe
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- Grated Parmesan cheese and additional nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onions in butter until tender. Stir in mustard. Add the broth, potatoes, dill weed, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream and fresh dill; heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and additional nutmeg if desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
3/4 cup: 146 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat