Dilled Chicken Soup Recipe
I grew up in a large family. Each Sunday, we took turns in the kitchen, with our mother training us. Everyone who tries this soup says it's the best they've ever tasted. I'm a widow(my eight children are all happily married), living in a senior citizens apartment. Many times, I'll give a bowl to my neighbors here. When you make this soup, my suggestion is to put it on and just "leave it cook". You can get so many other household tasks accomplished while it does. Try it and see!
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds), quartered
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut up
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and sliced
- Few sprigs fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces thin egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Place chicken, vegetables and dill in a large kettle. Add water to cover, about 2-1/2 qts. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim foam. Add salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; set aside to cool. Pour the broth through a strainer. Slice carrots and dice chicken; return to broth. Discard all other vegetables and bones. Add noodles to soup and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Dilled Chicken Soup in Country Woman September/October 1991, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Dilled Chicken Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2010
This is a wonderful soup. I would never have thought to put sweet potato and parsnips in chicken noodle soup, but they work beautifully with the dill.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Soup Recipes >