Dilled Cabbage Soup
When cold weather comes, my family always asks when I'm going to make this hearty soup. Cabbage is a perfect partner for potatoes.
Gwen Fritsch, Eastlake, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the cabbage, onion and celery in butter for 1
- minute. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup
- broth. Add potatoes and remaining broth to cabbage mixture.
- Whisk flour and reserved broth until smooth; stir into cabbage
- mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir a small amount of hot broth into sour cream; return all to pan,
- stirring constantly. Add dill and pepper; heat through (do not
- boil). Yield: 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 740 mg sodium,