Dill Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Coarse salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, onion, yeast, dill and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the cottage cheese, water and 1 tablespoon butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice (calculated without coarse salt) equals 160 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.