Dill Seed Braid Recipe
Its pretty braided shape and pleasant dill flavor distinguishes this golden-brown loaf from other yeast breads. My family loves to eat it alongside soup, roast beef or pot roast. I almost always make two loaves-one just isn't enough!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the yogurt, onion, sugar, butter, egg, dill seed, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC