Dill Pickle Soup Recipe
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 12 ounces dill pickles, shredded or finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups warm milk
- Dash green food coloring, optional
- Croutons, optional
- 1. In a large kettle, melt butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth. Add the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat; add milk. Remove the bay leaves. Add food coloring and garnish with croutons if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 264 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,579 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.