Dill-Onion Batter Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, egg, dill seed, onion, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Stir batter down. Spoon into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 138 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Dill-Onion Batter Bread
"This is so good. The aroma when it's baking will have your mouth watering. The first time I made it exactly as the recipe states and it was very good. The second time I left out the dried onion and added fresh, minced chives from my garden instead. They added some nice color and taste. It has a nice crust and the bread is light and fluffy. I will be making this again-and again. This will be a perfect accompaniment to home made soups this winter."
"I did this because I don't know how to knead bread. My whole family loved it. I will definitely make it again and again."
"Yummy! quick and easy too."
"I've had this recipe for awhile but hesitated to make it since it used yeast and without a bread machine. After reading the other reviews I thought I would try it. I'm so glad I did. It WAS easy and so yummy. I'm going to make it again tomorrow for a friend who just got out of the hospital."
"Great recipe! I mixed it all by hand with no problem. The flavor and texture is amazing!"
"This tastes very good, and is fun to make. Everyone at our house loves homemade bread, and with this recipe you don't even have to knead it. It's delicious, and clean-up is minimal."
"This was a good bread with a distinctive flavor. It was very easy to make. I didn't have dried minced onion, so I minced a fresh onion and used approximately 1/8 cup."