Dill Loaves Recipe
I've been depending on this recipe for more than 20 years. I often shape the dough into rolls and use them for sandwiches.—Barbara Jean Robo, Joplin, Montana
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese and butter to 110°-115°; add to yeast mixture. Add onion, dill seed, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (9 slices each).
1 slice equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 378 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Dill Loaves
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC