Dill Loaves Recipe
I've been depending on this recipe for more than 20 years. I often shape the dough into rolls and use them for sandwiches.Barbara Jean Robo, Joplin, Montana
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese and butter to 110°-115°; add to yeast mixture. Add onion, dill seed, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (9 slices each).
Originally published as Dill Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p156
Reviews for Dill Loaves(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review