- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese to 110°-115°; add to yeast mixture. Add the fresh dill, butter, salt, sugar, dill seed, egg and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a 6-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Cut into wedges before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Dill Bread
Sort By :
"This was my first time ever making homemade bread and it was a great success! It was really easy to make, although I had to do some scrounging to find dill seed. (Note: Dill seed is not the same as dill weed). I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly ... a wonderful flavour, moist and chewy, yet very light! Cutting the bread into slices was a dream...the knife slid right through. The only thing I changed was substituting olive oil for the butter and it added to the flavour. YUM! Will make this again!"
"I made this to go with a soup and it tasted wonderful together. It was a little salty so next time I'll use less. I think it would taste wonderful with dip, too."