Dijon Poppy Seed Cheese Bread
In her Walkersville, Maryland kitchen, Marianne Kmiecik easily dresses up Italian bread with cheese, Dijon mustard and a hint of lemon juice. "Try it alongside your favorite soup or serve it as a crowd-pleasing appetizer," she says.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cut bread into 1-in. slices to within 1/4 in. of bottom. In a small
- bowl, combine the butter, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, poppy
- seeds and onion. Spread over each slice of bread; sprinkle cheese
- between the slices.
- Place the loaf in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and
- the bread is crisp. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 282 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.