Diamond Almond Bars Recipe
Making these chewy almond bar cookies has been a tradition in our family for generations. They're especially popular at holidaytime. But be sure to freeze several dozen to enjoy into the New Year. —Liz Green, Tamworth, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:60 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over dough. Top with almonds. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into diamond-shaped bars. Cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 bar equals 64 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC