Diamond Almond Bars
Making these chewy almond bar cookies has been a tradition in our family for generations. They're especially popular at holidaytime. But be sure to freeze several dozen to enjoy into the New Year. —Liz Green, Tamworth, Ontario
60 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture
- and mix well.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat egg
- white until foamy; brush over dough. Top with almonds. Combine
- cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned (do not
- overbake). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into
- diamond-shaped bars. Cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 64 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.