Diabetic Spiced Beets
This easy recipe from Mae Flint of Ionia, Michigan can't be "beet". Mae marinates canned beets in a mixture of vinegar, clove, pepper and bay leaf for a tart side dish that is sure to appeal to even finicky eaters.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, bay leaf, clove, pepper and
- salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sugar substitute until dissolved. Pour
- over beets. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Discard bay leaf and clove. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 37 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 461 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.