Deviled Crab Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in cream until smooth.
- 2. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the crab, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and chives.
- 4. Spoon into six greased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place on a baking sheet. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 292 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 194 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.