Deviled Baked Steak Recipe
- 2 pound beef top round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
- 1. Trim excess fat from steak; cut into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper; pound into steak.
- 2. In a skillet, brown steak in oil in batches. Place meat in a large baking dish; top with onion. Combine the tomatoes, carrot, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter. If desired, simmer tomato-onion mixture until it is reduced to a thick gravy. Serve meat and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Deviled Baked Steak
"The gravy was delicious over mashed potatoes and the steak was very tender.I think breading the steak gave it a really good taste and helped thicken the gravy."
"Yum! This was so good that I should have doubled the recipe. There were seven of us at dinner and there wasn't a morsel left."
"Had a couple of round steaks in the freezer. Decent recipe but not overly impressive."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.