Deviled Baked Steak Recipe
"WHEN WE were growing up, this was one of my brother's favorite dishes. We girls often thought Mother made this just for him, but she knew we enjoyed it, too! Since I'm the oldest, my brothers and sisters often 'come home' to my house, and I make baked steak for them."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 pound beef top round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
- 1. Trim excess fat from steak; cut into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, mustard, salt and pepper; pound into steak.
- 2. In a skillet, brown steak in oil in batches. Place meat in a large baking dish; top with onion. Combine the tomatoes, carrot, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter. If desired, simmer tomato-onion mixture until it is reduced to a thick gravy. Serve meat and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC