Devil's Food Snack Cake Recipe
My husband and his friends request this cake for their camping trips, but it's perfect for potlucks and entertaining, too. No frosting required. —Julie Danler, Bel Aire, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1. Place oats in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Combine the flours, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup pecans.
- 3. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chips and pecans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece equals 174 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC