I like this cake because it's so moist and rich. It's great for large gatherings because it's so easy to make.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in sugar and butter until butter is melted. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Devil's Food Sheet Cake in Country Extra November 1996, p51
Reviews for Devil's Food Sheet Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review