Devil's Food Caramel Torte Recipe
My family calls this festive dessert “turtle cake” because of the delectable candy bits in the moist cake layers and the gooey-good filling. It’s an impressive-looking cake but quite easy to make, as you’ll see from the recipe.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (7 ounces) milk chocolate turtle candies, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Additional milk chocolate turtle candies, broken, optional
- 1. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Combine 1 cup candies and cocoa; fold into batter.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add caramel topping; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining candies.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with chocolate frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of torte with cream mixture. Garnish with additional candies if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 643 calories, 36 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Devil's Food Caramel Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC