Devil's Food Caramel Torte Recipe
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (7 ounces) milk chocolate turtle candies, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Additional milk chocolate turtle candies, broken, optional
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Combine 1 cup candies and cocoa; fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add caramel topping; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining candies.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with chocolate frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of torte with cream mixture. Garnish with additional candies if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Devil's Food Caramel Torte
Sort By :
"My husband requests this cake every Thanksgiving. Delicious!"
"This cake is delicious and the caramel frosting is the best! I experienced some trouble spreading the batter in the pan because the greased wax paper moved around. In addition I will take any suggestion - my "cream mixture" was more like a thick soup with no "stiff peaks" . Not sure if I did not mix it long enough or if it was overmixed or on the wrong speed. I will definitely make this again and hopefully improve on the cream mixture."
"Maddydog, is this the recipe you're looking for? It doesn't have chocolate sandwich cookies as an ingredient, but it is from the issue of TOH you specified."