This recipe won several blue ribbons at our state fair. The made-from-scratch chocolate layer cake topped with a fudgy homemade frosting is truly a can't-miss dessert. —Donna Carman, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p54
Reviews for Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review