- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
"The cake came out a little too dense for me. The flavor, however, is wonderful, both the cake and the frosting."
"Oooh i made something very similar a few months ago, and it was delicious! Loved seeing how you had a different take on it ( http://bit.ly/1FmVmhv ) . I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!"
"Really delicious cake. Moist, especially for a chocolate cake. I didn't have the unsweetened chocolate squares so I substituted the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder recipe for the frosting. The perfect chocolate birthday cake!"
"Wonderful recipe, but since I was out of sour cream I substituted Fage Total Greek yogurt...I also had only 3 squares of baking chocolate in cupboard, so I used them for the cake. For the frosting, I substituted 4 Tbsp. of Penzeys Dutch-process cocoa. This was a fabulous cake! Rich and dense cake with frosting that was not-too-sweet. I toasted some slivered almonds and garnished the sides of cake before serving."
"My Step-Mom's favorite cake ever. Rave reviews from all. Substituting coffee for the water is a great idea."