Devil's Food Cake Recipe
This was my mother's recipe and has been our favorite for many years. My husband and I have been married 47 years and have three children and five grandchildren.
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the top of a double boiler, combine cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Beat 1 egg; add to double boiler. Add 1 cup milk; cook until thick and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cream shortening and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with remaining milk to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and cooled cocoa mixture; beat thoroughly. Pour into two greased 8- or 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Frost with your favorite seven-minute or fudge icing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Devil's Food Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p15
Reviews for Devil's Food Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review