Through the years, I often found myself serving this casserole just before payday. It's a family favorite and truly an end-of-the-month budget stretcherthat's why I thought the name "Depression Casserole" was so appropriate.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot dogs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Toast points or cooked rice, optional
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in ketchup,
- water, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring
- occasionally. Place hot dogs in a 1-qt. baking dish; pour sauce
- over. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- If desired, serve over toast points or rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 360 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,216 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.