Depression Casserole Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot dogs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Toast points or cooked rice, optional
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Place hot dogs in a 1-qt. baking dish; pour sauce over. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, serve over toast points or rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Depression Casserole
Sort By :
I grew up on this recipe and we had it at least once a week. I call this comfort food and still make it every month or so. I love the sauce and make it into my own BBQ sauce.
I LOVE this recipe! I slice the onion so it has more of a German feel to it. I've discovered it also works really well on top of cooked potatoes! My family loves the sauce so much that I always make half again as much.
I'm not fond of hot dogs because of the preservatives. I can see all the rest of the ingredients, and use natural pork or lamb fully cooked sausage, sauteed, then baked.
This is a clever, economical, and tasty recipe. Hot dogs in homemade barbecue sauce. I appreciate recipes like this one to remind me that food doesn't always have to be modern and fancy to be good-tasting.
Sounds like economy BBQ'd hotdogs.