Through the years, I often found myself serving this casserole just before payday. It's a family favorite and truly an end-of-the-month budget stretcher—that's why I thought the name "Depression Casserole" was so appropriate.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot dogs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Toast points or cooked rice, optional
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Place hot dogs in a 1-qt. baking dish; pour sauce over. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, serve over toast points or rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Depression Casserole in Reminisce March/April 1994, p55
Reviews for Depression Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review