Deluxe Sugar Cookies Recipe
"Christmas cutouts signal the season for our family," relates field editor Dawn Fagerstrom of Warren, Minnesota. "Usually I 'paint' these with colorful icing - or if time's short, I simply sprinkle them with colored sugar."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into fourth. On a surface lightly sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll out the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen (2-inch cookies).
1 serving (2 each) equals 118 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC