Deluxe Sugar Cookies Recipe
Christmas cutouts signal the holiday season. For variety, sprinkle half of the cookies with colored sugar before baking and frost the remaining ones after they're cooled.—Dawn Fagerstrom, Warren, Minnesota
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into fourth. On a surface lightly sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll out the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen (2-inch cookies).
1 serving (2 each) equals 118 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC