- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into fourth. On a surface lightly sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll out the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen (2-inch cookies).
Reviews for Deluxe Sugar Cookies
"Perfect Christmas cookie cut-outs! :) Instead of 1 cup of butter, I use 1/2 cup of margarine and 1/2 cup crisco. This makes the cookies a little thicker/softer. These cookies are so good!"
"This is "The Best" sugar cookie. I have been making this recipe since my kids were little and they now are almost 55 and 50. I have a Grandson that won't let me make any other Sugar Cookie. Just mailed him some a couple of weeks ago."
"Best sugar cookies I have ever made or eaten!"
"Excellent! I made these with my 7 yr old nephew, very easy. I chilled the dough for about 20 minutes in the freezer and they rolled out nicely."
"I followed the recipe exactly as written, but my dough came out very soft. I chilled it over night so that I could roll out the cookies in the morning. I found that the dough got warm and soft very quickly, making it almost impossible to roll out and difficult to cut the cookie shapes. Should I have added more flour?"