Deluxe Macaroni 'n' Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- Paprika, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and stir until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Deluxe Macaroni 'n' Cheese(23)
Sort By :
I noticed, except for the pasta, this recipe is low carb (for mac and cheese) so I replaced the pasta with high fiber, low carb pasta, and served it to family, including two diabetics. They were thrilled to see a favourite comfort food back in their lives and the others swore it is better than sauce made with flour and processed cheese. It was a huge hit, and blood sugars didn't soar. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe.
I have been using this recipe for years. My kids look forward to the Holidays because they can't wait for me to make it. I use the small curd cottage cheese and even though my kids don't like cottage cheese they love this! For a healthier version you can substitute plain fat free yogurt instead of sour cream and the results are the same.
This is one of those fabulous, delicious meals that really does come together in minutes. I personally haven't had any problems with "curd-y" mac & cheese (I followed the recipe exactly), but here are a couple tips that may help with that if you decide to attempt this recipe again:
1. Make sure you're using 4% cottage cheese; the higher fat content helps ensure "meltability" and integration into the sauce.
2. Process the cottage cheese in a blender until smooth before mixing it into the other sauce ingredients. Voila! No more lumpy cheese curds, even before you popit into the oven. :-)
Hope this helps, and enjoy!
I had some cottage cheese I needed to use up and this looked appealing.... it was great!! Even better the next day... this is a keeper!!
This was excellent Mac n cheese.... The whole family loved it. The only changes I made were adding a 1/2 tsp of ground mustard and a some shredded Parmesan on top before sprinkling the paprika! Will definitely make again!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >