- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- Paprika, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and stir until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Deluxe Macaroni 'n' Cheese
"My sister in law and I liked it very much. Since she is on Dialysis she can have some of it. Will make it again."
"Very poor recipe. I was not happy at all with the results. I had to cook it for quite a lot longer and add quite a bit more cheddar to the dish to make it edible. I agree with puffybloomers review - it was lumpy. I was so optimistic but sadly was disappointed."
"can't understand the good reviews. thought it was awful. I like mac and cheese to be smooth and creamy this was grainy and lumpy. yuk"
"I noticed, except for the pasta, this recipe is low carb (for mac and cheese) so I replaced the pasta with high fiber, low carb pasta, and served it to family, including two diabetics. They were thrilled to see a favourite comfort food back in their lives and the others swore it is better than sauce made with flour and processed cheese. It was a huge hit, and blood sugars didn't soar. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe."
"I have been using this recipe for years. My kids look forward to the Holidays because they can't wait for me to make it. I use the small curd cottage cheese and even though my kids don't like cottage cheese they love this! For a healthier version you can substitute plain fat free yogurt instead of sour cream and the results are the same."