Deluxe German Potato Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional salt, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard, vinegar and water until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and parsley; drizzle with sauce; stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt if desired; garnish with bacon. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Deluxe German Potato Salad
Sort By :
"This recipe makes a lot! I cut it back by using 3 pounds of potatoes and halving the dressing recipe, but I had some bacon to use up, so I put in the whole 1/2 pound. The result was stellar! This will be my go-to recipe from now on. Regarding the amount of sugar, if you consider how many servings this makes, it's really not that bad per serving. Many folks ingest that much and more in soda or sweet tea on a daily basis. (Not that I am saying this is a good thing, but I like to try to keep things in perspective.) That said, if you have tried an alternative sweetener that works well here without an off flavor, do post and let us know."
"I know I made this once for my family reunion. It makes a lot and looks pretty in the bowl. Since this was made long ago I can't fairly say as to how I liked it. Seeing as how though I only made this one time kinda tells me It must not have been a raving success."
"My husband's mother use to make German Potatoe Salad & he thinks this receipe is very close. We liked it very much!!!"
"I frowned at the 1 cup of sugar recipe but was really surprised by the taste, very flavorful. Next time I'm going to try to reduce the sugar in half & see how that tastes maybe even try a sugar supplement. But the taste was worth the one cup of sugar. Thank you."
"lilygirl - I agree, too much sugar. I will substitute with 1/2 cup honey."