Deluxe German Potato Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional salt, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard, vinegar and water until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and parsley; drizzle with sauce; stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt if desired; garnish with bacon. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Deluxe German Potato Salad
Sort By :
I know I made this once for my family reunion. It makes a lot and looks pretty in the bowl. Since this was made long ago I can't fairly say as to how I liked it. Seeing as how though I only made this one time kinda tells me It must not have been a raving success.
My husband's mother use to make German Potatoe Salad & he thinks this receipe is very close. We liked it very much!!!
I frowned at the 1 cup of sugar recipe but was really surprised by the taste, very flavorful. Next time I'm going to try to reduce the sugar in half & see how that tastes maybe even try a sugar supplement. But the taste was worth the one cup of sugar. Thank you.
lilygirl - I agree, too much sugar. I will substitute with 1/2 cup honey.
this is exactly like my grandmother's recipe, this is requested at all family get togethers and pot lucks! do add more bacon to the recipe.