Deluxe German Potato Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional salt, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard, vinegar and water until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and parsley; drizzle with sauce; stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt if desired; garnish with bacon. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Deluxe German Potato Salad(12)
Sort By :
My husband's mother use to make German Potatoe Salad & he thinks this receipe is very close. We liked it very much!!!
I frowned at the 1 cup of sugar recipe but was really surprised by the taste, very flavorful. Next time I'm going to try to reduce the sugar in half & see how that tastes maybe even try a sugar supplement. But the taste was worth the one cup of sugar. Thank you.
lilygirl - I agree, too much sugar. I will substitute with 1/2 cup honey.
this is exactly like my grandmother's recipe, this is requested at all family get togethers and pot lucks! do add more bacon to the recipe.
Any way the sugar could be cut in this? Sounds wonderful and look forward to making it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Salad Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- German Potato Salad >
- German Potato Salad Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Salad Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- No-Mayo Potato Salad Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Salad >
- Potato Salad Recipes >