Deluxe German Potato Salad Recipe
I make this salad for all occasions—it goes well with any kind of meat. I often take this salad to potlucks, and there's never any leftover. The celery, carrots and dry mustard are a special touch not usually found in traditional German potato salad. —Betty Perkins, Hot Springs, Arkansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:14-16 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional salt, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, mustard, vinegar and water until smooth. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- 3. In a large serving bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots and parsley; drizzle with sauce; stir gently to coat. Season with additional salt if desired; garnish with bacon. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 192 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC